Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 10 Sevastopol Unforgetable Excursion


I've just taken a 2 hour bus ride from Yalta to Sevastopol, base of the Russian Black Sea Fleet and was transferred to the Dakar Resort Hotel where I will be staying. I've decided to take an optional excursion today to the Balaklava Submarine underground base and fortress of Chombal where I am right now. I'm being guided through a 4 hour excursion of the submarine tunnel and exploring the base that was designed for the simultaneous repair & maintenance of 7 submarines. It could shelter 3000 people in case of attack and could operate autonomously for 3 years! This is quite an experience and is definitely a unique excursion. The tunnels are huge and the architectural design of them is just remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment