Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 13 Kiev Beauty At It's Best



The time for Kiev is finally here! I'm being guided through the famous St. Sophia Cathedral. I've waited patiently for this day to come, actually I was so amazed by everything else that I have seen on this journey that I forget all about this day. I can't find the right words to describe the beauty of the exterior of the cathedral. The sunlight is reflecting off the gold domes on the roof and blinding me with its beauty. I'm now walking through the cathedral and the inside of it is quite amazing, covered in old paintings and murals. Sadly I've been told to not take any pictures of the inside which doesn't really matter because pictures won't do it justice anyways. They have done some great restoration work here. I have never been in a church with this much artwork before. Next I'm off to the Monastery of Caves, an extensive complex of churches and museums founded by monks in 1051. This is just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment